Welcome!

Hi! I'm just getting started in writing, and I'm posting some of my experiments and other short stories here. Offline, I'm working on building my "rejection slip collection" with other stories.

Please enjoy the short stories and writing experiments I've posted here. I always enjoy constructive criticism.

I'm very interested in improving my abilities as an author, and I like to experiment with different genres and story ideas when I write. A lot of what I'll be posting here will be somewhat unfinished, I figure I'd rather post and learn what I can than have something never get written because I fret too much about how it will turn out.

Thanks for coming!

06 September 2014

Analyzing Edgar Allan Poe's Tell-tale Heart

In the story The Tell-Take Heart, a very clear and defined viewpoint is used through-out the story. The story is from the vantage point of the narrator, who happens to be the main character of the story. So, I figure that The Tell-Tale Heart is most likely in the first person. The story demonstrates a limited viewpoint in many cases, one of which is when he chuckles, however quietly, but aloud. He awakens the old man of whom he is taking care and watch of. The old man awakens and shifts in his bed. But, the narrator stays in his same place, waiting patiently for the old man to fall back asleep.

When the narrator tries to put his thumb on the metal catch to open the dark lantern, his thumb slips and makes a loud noise on the catch. While the narrator probably presumed the old man to be asleep again, he was surprised to note that the man sat up straight in bed and called out, "Who's there?"

The narrator also tells us of his internal feeling and thoughts but nothing of the other characters other than interpreted feelings, like when he heard the old man's low groan. He said that he knew that groan well, it was one of fear. He explained that he knew the meaning of this groan because he himself had groaned in the same manner and tone in the many nights that he had watched the old man.

Another point where the narrator interprets what is being thought and said through his own perception is at the very end of the story when he is talking with some police officers. He begins to grow frantic, and, thinking that the police officers suspect him of the murder, figures they must be noticing that he is so agitated. He knows what he has done, so, from guilt, he expects that the police officers know what he has done, but are merely torturing him for his reaction. Acting so calm and so composed when they must know that he is wracked with torment and agony of self-conscience.

I love the author Edgar Allen Poe, and I think that his story The Tell-Tale Heart is a very good example of a limited first person view point.

No comments: