Welcome!

Hi! I'm just getting started in writing, and I'm posting some of my experiments and other short stories here. Offline, I'm working on building my "rejection slip collection" with other stories.

Please enjoy the short stories and writing experiments I've posted here. I always enjoy constructive criticism.

I'm very interested in improving my abilities as an author, and I like to experiment with different genres and story ideas when I write. A lot of what I'll be posting here will be somewhat unfinished, I figure I'd rather post and learn what I can than have something never get written because I fret too much about how it will turn out.

Thanks for coming!

06 September 2014

Analysing the Poem Found It

In the poem 'Found It,' I have decided to see if the author applies the rules set forth by Minot in what constitutes a poem. The poem has a very emphasized poetic line. I feel that this is what sets the poem up. It seems to give me, the reader, a guide for how to interpret the poem. An example of this poetic line in the poem is the grouping of syllables. The first and second line of every stanza vary from two to three syllables. Each stanza also contains three lines. It holds a bit of the 'good' that I find to be evident in good poetry because it does have a regularity of line and pacing. This poem uses a lot of imagery to convey its point and implied message. The narrator uses a lot of visuals as she guides us to the Pond of Riddles. The imagery she uses feel disconnected from reality, however. The ivy and poison oak are a commonly used image of secret forests and glades. The way that she uses images are cliched and redundant of other good poems and crummy poems. The Pond of Riddles image that she uses at the end of hers poem find me baffled as to the significance of said Pond. ÒWhy did you lead us here? This isn't the answer to my happiness. It's a pond of RIDDLES. Not answers.Ó So, not only do I not see any significance to the climax of the poem, I don't see how it links up to the beginning. This leads to the density of the poem. The varied mentions of mysterious flora may, to some, be conducive to implied meanings. But when you truly look at the poem, all it is is a poem by an author hoping to stumble upon some sort of unforseen meaning. The set up and application of the poem demonstrates all the insight and intelligence of an elementary-schooler linking together interesting sounding phrases in a little rhyme that he finds quite clever. I find the poem entertaining and thoughtful to the extent that I find myself remembering my elementary school days and that the poem makes me think of criticisms to apply to it. Inspite of the comments in my previous paragraph, the poem does have a few redeeming qualities. The poem had a consistent rhythm and flow. The rhythm it followed was a 'one-two, one-two, one-two-three-four.Ó Very even and predictable, which helps make the poem more entertaining, in my mind. The poem follows a form and rhythm that makes it easy to remember. All ready, I have found that I have memorized most of the poem. Overall, I think that the author of 'Found It' was following the rules that Minot laid out strictly and literally. The poem had a well-defined poetic line and steady rhythm, lots of images with common implied meanings. The only thing that I didn't find in the poem was the use of sounds of words. - See more at: http://ninjaobsessed.com/writings/amaportap3.shtml#sthash.jJD4hsdW.dpuf

No comments: