Welcome!

Hi! I'm just getting started in writing, and I'm posting some of my experiments and other short stories here. Offline, I'm working on building my "rejection slip collection" with other stories.

Please enjoy the short stories and writing experiments I've posted here. I always enjoy constructive criticism.

I'm very interested in improving my abilities as an author, and I like to experiment with different genres and story ideas when I write. A lot of what I'll be posting here will be somewhat unfinished, I figure I'd rather post and learn what I can than have something never get written because I fret too much about how it will turn out.

Thanks for coming!

01 July 2008

Short Mystery

Alice stepped into her apartment building. She had just returned from work and was looking forward to a nice, relaxed evening in bed with a book. She walked up to the elevator, and stopped. A flash of bright color had caught her eye near the stairs. Next to the stairs, she saw a long, thin strip of neon pink paper lying on the ground with one end in a puddle of a thick, red, goopey liquid.
Alice walked up to the strip of paper and carefully pulled it out of the liquid. The strip of paper had been soaked through. She dropped the paper and tried to shake the sticky, lumpy liquid off her hand. A drip fell from above into the puddle. She looked up to see where the liquid was coming from. She followed the drips up past several levels until she saw the drips coming from her floor.
She crept carefully up to the stairs, and began to climb. "I could yell up the stairs to scare them," she thought, "But they might try to kill me instead of running. I could get help, but they might get away before I come back."
When she reached the top of the stairs, she peered around the corner and saw that the thick substance was oozing from under a door that was near by. She recognized the door as her own. She walked over and began to unlock her door. She noticed a light and quiet voices behind the door. She stepped back when the door was flung open. Alice blinked in the bright light.
“Surprise!” everybody yelled. “Happy birthday!"
"Sorry about spilling the fruit punch,” someone hollered over the noise of the other people singing 'For She's A Jolly Good Fellow.'

No comments: